Author Topic: Questions of Games past  (Read 3668 times)

luffy316

• Drunk and Ugly
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • luffy316 has no influence.
    • View Profile
Questions of Games past
« on: September 14, 2016, 06:36:07 PM »
Since a lot of the older games had threads on the old board, felt right to make a "hey what happened to that guy in ___?" thread

mostly because it occurred to me: who was Blastmaster supposed to be? was he just an old demo expert from the army? or just a whimsical bandit psycho?
"No one's going to quote you on that!" -luffy316, 2016

Syn

• Horse Puncher
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Syn has no influence.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions of Games past
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »
Well, for Blastmaster in particular, I believe I mentioned at one point that he was created in the moment between when they opened the door out of Peaceful Acres and when they walked through it. But what I eventually ended up figuring was he was a mercenary that stumbled onto one of the abandoned national guard armories full of explosives (and at least one bomb squad suit), and devoted a year or so to using the demolitionist training manuals there to use them safely, eventually moving on to missile ordnance guides and pyrotechnics training books from a Florida fireworks factory. Some corporation had to keep Kismet Park alight at night, after all. And eventually, in his self imposed exile, his mercenary corps moved on and left him to become his own force.

CanaryBlue

• Horse Puncher
  • CanaryBlue has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
On that topic:

From a conversation with James at Arby's-

James: *singing*
Me: Is that a Blast Master cover of "let it go"?
James: Yes.

cornbreab

• Administrator
  • Sidefaced
  • cornbreab has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
I had always wondered what the original plot/ideas for Elder Dane and Dr. Greenwell were. Especially since Dr. G ended up being so under-utilized
Mobsters and Other Childish Things: "Say hello to my VERY BIG FRIEND"

luffy316

• Drunk and Ugly
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • luffy316 has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
I know from the Frieda's finale Q&A that Greenwell was a spy for the Curriculum of Conspiracy plot; just a sorcerer of a psychologist whose only power was you couldn't read his mind. He wasn't a threat himself, but he was feeding information to the more sinister staff

Elder Dane I think was more or less what he ended up, but less irate and jaded. he was the equivalent of an angel from the equivalent of god, because he wanted a more indirect approach than appearing as a psychedelic winged ball of fire etc in his true form and making them stop doing what they were doing and worship him/go insane. so he was kind of a messenger and moral compass for the kids without directly interfering with things like Odin

as I remember it, anyway
"No one's going to quote you on that!" -luffy316, 2016

Syn

• Horse Puncher
  • Syn has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Yeah, that's about what I know of Dr. G's original intent. Though I came in so late to the plot, that I didn't understand half the things I was helping along. (On a similar note, all I knew about Elder Dane before this thread is he was some sort of magical guitar Mormon or something?)

Capman

• Drunk GM and Ugly Talker
  • Administrator
  • Pug Life
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Capman has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
I know from the Frieda's finale Q&A that Greenwell was a spy for the Curriculum of Conspiracy plot; just a sorcerer of a psychologist whose only power was you couldn't read his mind. He wasn't a threat himself, but he was feeding information to the more sinister staff

Elder Dane I think was more or less what he ended up, but less irate and jaded. he was the equivalent of an angel from the equivalent of god, because he wanted a more indirect approach than appearing as a psychedelic winged ball of fire etc in his true form and making them stop doing what they were doing and worship him/go insane. so he was kind of a messenger and moral compass for the kids without directly interfering with things like Odin

as I remember it, anyway

Yeah Dane was less an emissary for a deity and more the idea that all major religions are just bad interpretations of monsters (see: Mr Crocker, former egyptian god).  There was a whole idea for a transdimensional agency that was trying to maintain a semblance of order but it never really came up beyond that one time Dane handed Manny an informational pamphlet about demon puberty.  On top of other reasons, I scrapped that idea because I realized it was just the plot to The Adjustment Bureau.
Be a Road Trip, not a Ponyfinder.