Civilization in the trail of the Merchant God
3 (12.5%)
Healing from the Devils War
3 (12.5%)
Tomb of the first magic
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 21, 2016, 03:43:52 AM

Author Topic: Electin' Microscope  (Read 3305 times)

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Clockwurke Bear has no influence.
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
Electin' Microscope
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:43:52 AM »
Hey there internet, nice to see you. Did you always wear your hair that way? Well you should, it suits you. Anyway, I'm here to talk to you about Microscope. It's a loose game, formed around fitting tones and concepts together into a jigsaw puzzle where the edges are practically amorphous until you wedge them together. You start threads and fill them in later, form history, craft worlds one event at a time. You can see the personal life of important people in between the towering events that form the annuls of existence itself. It's quite exciting really.
It relies on an open mind, a cohesive group, and a want to create something great.

That's why I came to you. See, I enjoy GMing. Quite a bit in fact, though it may be awhile before much of my real content hits the podcast. But for a little while my dream has been to work with something made from the realm of Microscope, a world crafted and touched with a history beyond that of what just my ideas could come from. Even if the game in question was set years in the future. But I wanted to do something different. Our first run of Microscope, while a blast, was shaky. And even though following a single life can be fascinating, it left with a lot more of the setting unfilled. As well it capped off it's prime plot right away leaving it a touch difficult to use as a further setting.

So I want to try again. And I figure, why not ask for your help. I have compiled a list of Big Picture ideas, the goal of the entire session of Microscope. The concepts that are fleshed out to make a history. I want you to choose one.
Well actually I want you to choose two. You have two votes, it's a big list and second favorites are as important as firsts. If you really want something you can vote for it twice, I'm not your dad (though I'm not sure if the poll system allows that).

Secondly, you may if you wish post something in this thread as a Yes or a No. This is something you would like to see (or wouldn't if a no) in the end product. Such as Yes - Objects that gain Sentience, or No - Anime Fight Sequences (if you want to break my heart). Feel free to add explanation if you want, which may influence my interest, but please only do one, either Yes or No.
I reserve the right to blatantly ignore suggestions I don't feel like using, but I want to see what fans and what creative minds can come up with. However, you must understand that you are making these recommendations before we even see what the Big Picture will be, so don't try and craft them for one.

I want to see what we all create, even if the session itself is held away I wanted you, the loyal fans and cast members that visit the forums, to have a chance to influence this before it starts. Help make a mark on this slide, and let's see what the Microscope shows.

TL;DR

Wow firstly you're rude, but basically vote for two concepts you want to see from a Microscope game, and then suggest EITHER a Yes or a No statement or concept for the design in the comments.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:32:10 AM by Clockwurke Bear »
"I just realized I can flavor this as a magical girl, sooooo..."
"So that's your character now."
"How did you guess?"

eliasswift

• Horse Puncher
  • eliasswift has no influence.
    • View Profile
Re: Electin' Microscope
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:03:45 AM »
Ooooh, this will definitely be fun. I can't wait to see what convoluted stuff groupthink comes up with.

For my one thing to add, I'll add a  Yes. I'm going to say "Sky Pirates." Because Sky Pirates are awesome.

((That being said, if I may add a No, even though you asked us to do only one... If you do the Colonization one, could you add "The worst of the horrible shit real world imperialists did to natives" to the No list? Not sure if I'm in the mood to listen to Microscope turn into Dog Eat Dog.))

Sabwones

• Pug Life
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Sabwones has no influence.
  • Bonehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
For my statement, I say:

Spoiler: show
NO MAGICAL GIRLS

Ah, kidding.

I'm going to say YES to Authority By Lineage, people in this world are born to lead, whether they're fit to do it or not.
Oi.

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
  • Ninjaguiden has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »
I liked the first game even though it, as you say yourself, was a bit shaky so I would love to see a new take on this system!

As for my vote I say YES to Courtly Intrigue. Doesn't have to be a literal court but some sort of machinations and outmanoeuvring, sly laughter (ohohoho!) etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:47:46 PM by Ninjaguiden »

Edward

• Horse Puncher
  • Edward has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
this sounds like a lot of fun, Let's see if I can add something I would like to see...
hmm...
How about yes to anthropomorphised Aspects of nature.
In this world the wind will try to rip the newspaper out of your hand because it's spiteful, or the forest will listen to every word you say because it's curious, the ocean will try and drown you when it get's angry, ect. XD

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
Note for posterity, if any of the choices result in a tie by whenever I choose to end this then I and/or the players of the session will choose from what options are there. But I'll pay attention to the others, and see about running them later.

Other than that, I really appreciate the responses so far other than no magical girls and am enchanted to see where this will go. Thanks for the replies and voting, and I hope to see more!
"How did you guess?"

Sabwones

• Pug Life
  • Bonehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
We need to wean you off, brah. The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Oi.

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
Wow firstly you're rude

Did I miss something, here? Was someone here a jerk?
. o O (I think I must agree with Sliss. The "Fat Chance" would have been a perfect name for our ship.)

Sabwones

• Pug Life
  • Bonehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
Wow firstly you're rude

Only if they skipped straight to the tl;dr part of the post, yeah.
Oi.

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Wow firstly you're rude

Only if they skipped straight to the tl;dr part of the post, yeah.

Ohhhh. I get it now. Thanks!

Edit: forgot to include my other suggestions. Yes: dark fantasy. No: humans as the dominant species.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:10:30 PM by Nayt »
. o O (I think I must agree with Sliss. The "Fat Chance" would have been a perfect name for our ship.)

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:34:19 PM »
Alright, seems the votes as far as they are going to arrive are in. The winner with a nice amount of attention was "Tomb of the First Magic" with some amount of that capitalized or decapitalized based on how we interpret it. We'll see what happens and what statements we'll use. I'll probably push them down the line to the next one if they aren't immediately applicable. Thanks to all who participated!
"How did you guess?"