Author Topic: Animorphs  (Read 6249 times)

Capman

• Drunk GM and Ugly Talker
  • Administrator
  • Pug Life
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Capman has no influence.
    • View Profile
Animorphs
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
Yeah, I started reading a book for grade schoolers at 28 years old.  What of it?  YOU WANNA GO?  YOU WANNA FUCKIN GO MATE?!

No but for real I am impressed with how much complexity is in these 100-something page books for children.  It's a very easily digestible story that is a good primer for like what MaOCT should be like.  Every story of these sad traumatized teens involves some kind of mundane emotional grounding that provides some relatability to a really bizarre setting and reminds us of real stakes while also these children transform into tigers and fight an alien invasion every story. 

I'm like 8 books deep into the series (9 if you count Megamorphs but nobody counts the first Megamorphs) and it continues to find fresh ways to change up the stakes in both senses while slowly compounding on canon that exists outside of the basic plot of each story.
Be a Road Trip, not a Ponyfinder.

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Clockwurke Bear has no influence.
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
Re: Animorphs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:07:17 PM »
Except it's fucked up by even what MaOCT standards are. Not saying that's a bad thing, but like wowwww shit is fucked. Enjoy feeling the body snatcher inside you go through the torturous pains of dying via basically a combination suffacation dehydration.
"I just realized I can flavor this as a magical girl, sooooo..."
"So that's your character now."
"How did you guess?"

Capman

• Administrator
  • Pug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »
Oh yeah this shit is crazy and I can't believe how violent and graphic this children's book is.

Needless to say, even if you don't take the whole thing, it encapsulates a local problem very well and does a good variation on monster of the week

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:38:26 AM »
A really interesting piece of it's appeal is its constant introduction of small new powers, giving new forms for new problems to pose constant new situations. That would be interesting to replicate in a monsters game, though doing anything but copying them limits options a bit.
"How did you guess?"

Capman

• Administrator
  • Pug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
There's also this weirdness where they have to wage this guerilla war between their normal day to day activities.  In the second book they're trying to figure out how to spy on one of the controllers and they're like "well I have to prep for a test on Thursday, and it's Cassie's dad's birthday the next day, and I've got homework too. . . so like maybe we do it Saturday?"

Keeping in mind the idea that they don't have all the power and they need to pick their battles to keep things clear while also having to maintain the cover of their normal everyday lives to avoid suspicion from the secret aliens that could be anyone keeps the stakes fairly small and the need to stick to their day-to-day allows the stories to be emotionally grounded and also leave in weird mundane stakes like Rachel's dad moving away and asking her (pressuring her to say) if she wants to join him.

You can see in Megamorphs 1 where they don't add any real emotional grounding and it becomes more of a pure adventure book that the format breaks down when the story becomes huge and they're like fighting giant monsters in broad daylight.  Megamorphs is one of the longer and more complicated books in the series and the whole thing just feels kinda empty because there's no accompanying emotional throughline.

CanaryBlue

• Horse Puncher
  • CanaryBlue has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »
That settles it. When I go back to New York in a few months I'm reclaiming my Animprphs collection.

Man I remember shit got CRAZY when the Ellimist started fucking with time and space. I also remember a Hork Bajir refuge in a forest and Rachel's mom trying to teach them the alphabet.

Capman

• Administrator
  • Pug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
Also every book after Ax gets introduced he keeps eating progressively more garbage.  Poor perfect alien son.

CanaryBlue

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 03:11:40 PM »
I have vivid memories of his first experience eating Cinnabon.

Capman

• Administrator
  • Pug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
In the last book I read he ate a plate of nachos and compared it to the time he drank motor oil.

Clockwurke Bear

• Horse Puncher
  • what a spicy frog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
In the last book I read he ate a plate of nachos and compared it to the time he drank motor oil.

Just thank god he didn't have social media or there would be alien tweet reviews with shitty pictures of food on hooves.
"How did you guess?"

CanaryBlue

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

Just thank god he didn't have social media or there would be alien tweet reviews with shitty pictures of food on hooves.

I...may have a fanfiction to write now.

Capman

• Administrator
  • Pug Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
I applaud the Animorphs TV show for the effort.  They tried so hard.  They really tried.

And also the theme song.

It's "good"

crazon

• Sidefaced
  • crazon has no influence.
    • View Profile
    • Al Dente Rigamortis
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 11:33:50 PM »

God this theme, it all came rushing back like some forgotten dream. I was tempted to whip out a lighter and start waving it in the air.
Player of serious silly games! Also host of "Al Dente Rigamortis" creepypasta podcast.

luffy316

• Drunk and Ugly
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • luffy316 has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »
"Caf or decaf?"
Ax: "Caf? Cafffff caf caff caff."

Ax: "There are twenty more of your Earth minutes left."
Marco: "Ax, you're on Earth now. They're your minutes too now."

I read every single book in the main storyline around high school, and about 5 or so of the sidestory ones (Megamorphs, the choose your adventure one, the Hork Bajirr chronicles)

but yea, there's super legit PTSD going on and deathmarches going on by the end of it. Shit gets massively hardcore in those books
"No one's going to quote you on that!" -luffy316, 2016

CanaryBlue

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 04:14:28 PM »
I applaud the Animorphs TV show for the effort.  They tried so hard.  They really tried.

And also the theme song.

It's "good"

Look, Christopher Ralph was my first crush and I will continue to love the Animorph's TV show unironically until I draw my last, shaking breath.

Just...don't ask me to re-watch it. I'm not willing to take that risk.