Author Topic: Augmented Reality Ideas for Tabletop RPGs  (Read 1843 times)

Juju-Monster-Man

• Administrator
  • Horse Puncher
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Juju-Monster-Man has no influence.
    • View Profile
Augmented Reality Ideas for Tabletop RPGs
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
I've been doing a lot of work with Augmented Reality over the last few months. I want to try and make a game for GenCon that utilizes AR without being a gimmick. So far I have an idea for an investigative game (CoC, DG, etc.), but do people have any ideas for use in other genres? Basically, a phone would be used like Zelda's Lens of Truth in a tabletop game. I can do more, but the complexity of the idea means longer work time.

luffy316

• Drunk and Ugly
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • luffy316 has no influence.
    • View Profile
Re: Augmented Reality Ideas for Tabletop RPGs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
AR's are kind of out of my wheelhouse, since the best I get is that is that Pokemon Go is one. also those psp and cell phone games that see monsters on things

I mean the easy way is the "which is real?" twist. maybe a kinda digimon/Changeling thing where everything has a secondary reality, and your ally/creature can affect it immaterially through its game/alt representation. or there's spots that are somehow vulnerable to whatever the game truly is; whenever you change it, you change reality (whether or not people consciously realize it). Changing who runs that pokestop may make it exude an air of depression, or turn that church into a store. or a church from a church of something that is definitely NOT a conventional sense of a god

or if more of a spoof, those major landmarks are known to give out the rare pokemans/magic items in the cell game. you know, like the church of Chtul or that tower in the middle of town with the flaming eye that never blinks and knows all your secrets on sight. ...but you reaaaaally want that Gyrados. It's like playing Pokemon Go in Nightvale; you just have to survive and cope with the weirdness to get on with your normal shit
"No one's going to quote you on that!" -luffy316, 2016