Author Topic: From a long time listener, first time poster: thank you  (Read 7113 times)

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ninjaguiden has no influence.
    • View Profile
From a long time listener, first time poster: thank you
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »
I've finally been able to register on these new forums (for some reason the previous platform wouldn't send me any password reset mails) so I can finally express my love of your podcast.

I think I discovered your show from RPPR (http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/) when you played the Boiling Point kickstarter demo. Since then I've listened to many, many of your shows with the perhaps glaring exception of Mrs Frieda's and Prominence. My absolute favourite though would be the EoE campaign, I've re-listened to it now three times (SlissXDJ is way too adorable!). Other top ones would be Rogue Trader (2 times re-listened), Eclipse Phase and Happiest Waste on Earth which I just finished.

You've brought me many, many laughs over the time I've followed you and you've made my somewhat lonely morning job a whole lot more enjoyable. Everyone on the cast from the subtly witty Kevin (that EoE holiday special had my unable to sit straight from laughing too much) to the rambunctious Manda (the rest not forgotten of course!) are enjoyable to listen to and overall your group dynamic are great no matter the make-up of the current AP.

So thank you again for a great show and I hope to be able to join you on many more adventures in the future!

P.S. Will there ever be more EoE? That Mon Calamari tease makes not knowing even worse.

Syn

• Horse Puncher
  • Syn has no influence.
    • View Profile
Re: From a long time listener, first time poster: thank you
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »
Nah dude, thank YOU. It's reading posts like this that keep us going on this whole podcast thing, and I'm so glad you enjoy what we do (And actually it's kind of impressive that you've been through Rogue Trader so many times. I've only been through it the one time myself). As always, feel free to ask any questions you might have about the campaigns, and we may or may not answer them based on whether the info is top secret or not. As far as Edge though, I don't think it's saying too much to say we have more recorded than is up on the website.

Sabwones

• Pug Life
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Sabwones has no influence.
  • Bonehead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:04:36 AM »
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?

Do go on.
Oi.

Laura B

• Horse Puncher
  • Laura B has no influence.
    • View Profile
    • Laura B Writes
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »
As far as Edge though, I don't think it's saying too much to say we have more recorded than is up on the website.

YAY!! More Edge of Empire please!

any word on when it might hit the AP feed? THANK YOU!

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Mutual appreciation all around then!

Now I was never active on the old forums and I can't suss it out from your history so I must ask bluntly: are you the GM/Player by the name of James?

Also, super hype to hear about the EoE stuff!

A final question I almost dread to ask: did so many people of the cast just drop out of the podcast when I wasn't looking? Nayt, Manda, Zach etc...I hope you parted on good terms but if it's true I wilö miss them dearly  :'(

Syn

• Horse Puncher
  • Syn has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
Oh, right. Yeah, I'm James. Syn was my nickname on the cast page for a long time, until Matt changed it to The Notorious P.U.G. because he's Matt. And as for Nate, Amanda and Zach, a disagreement in our ranks led to them making the decision to move on from the podcast. That said, they are still very good friends, we all still talk, and we love them very much.

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »
When you give up your life as a handsome bachelor to care for your beloved it's only natural you have the name to go with it I think.

Shame to hear about the last part, though I'm glad friendships weren't broken in the process.

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Hi! Manda, Zach, and I will still be in Edge of the Empire, to be sure. I'll also never give up on the Prominence-verse, and will probably start posting them on the community site. It is my baby and I will cradle it through hell and back. But yes, aside from EoE, we won't be appearing in any further APs.

That is subject to change (for me) if James ever runs any of the many campaigns he's assured me that he'll get to someday. He's like my own personal Peter Molyneux at this point, only I can actually for real shake him and remind him of all the cool shit he's promised. Like I'm doing right now.  8)
. o O (I think I must agree with Sliss. The "Fat Chance" would have been a perfect name for our ship.)

jfan999

• Horse Puncher
  • jfan999 has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »
I would be very hype to see more Prominence-verse. I'm also glad to hear you folks will be hanging around for EoE, it is one of my favorite campaigns.

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
Hi! Manda, Zach, and I will still be in Edge of the Empire, to be sure. I'll also never give up on the Prominence-verse, and will probably start posting them on the community site. It is my baby and I will cradle it through hell and back. But yes, aside from EoE, we won't be appearing in any further APs.

That is subject to change (for me) if James ever runs any of the many campaigns he's assured me that he'll get to someday. He's like my own personal Peter Molyneux at this point, only I can actually for real shake him and remind him of all the cool shit he's promised. Like I'm doing right now.  8)

Neat to see you chime in and to hear about the EoE stuff! Maybe now I'll atleast have to give Prominence a go  ;D

If you have the time I have a quick question about one of your previous characters, Avi from Rogue Trader: where did you get the inspiration for her (language, customs, physiology etc) and why did you chose to go with a OC xenos rather than one established in the lore? Thanks!

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
If you have the time I have a quick question about one of your previous characters, Avi from Rogue Trader: where did you get the inspiration for her (language, customs, physiology etc) and why did you chose to go with a OC xenos rather than one established in the lore? Thanks!

I don't mind at all. The inspiration mostly came from Greco-Roman mythology, Star Trek, and actual corvids. Most of her people's social tendencies are based on crows: materialism, vindictiveness, ingenuity, and mutual respect. We keep learning new things about the intricacies of crow societies and their intelligence. Some of the stuff I drew from is actually outdated now. Example: I'd originally written that her people have funeral services that an entire village will attend. When I wrote that, contemporary thought was that crows flock around their dead as an honorary service of a kind, but it was discovered last year that the murder of crows that hang around their dead are actually performing an investigation into the cause of death, so that the whole group will learn from it.

Appearance wise, she's based on harpies. I wanted to play an alien that wasn't as, well, alien as the other two options at the time (Orks and Kroot). Eldar and Tau were not yet playable at the time, and finagling either of those would've been even harder than drafting up a Star Trek style of alien, switching around some stat bonuses, and using the Kroot Mercenary tree. So that I didn't totally break established lore, I did a lot of research into lesser alien races established in the 40k universe and the ways they were handled. It was kind of important that they were lore friendly.

Their language was based on Esperanto, which was created in the late 1800s to be a kind of universal language. It didn't stick, but it's still spoken by a couple million people. I picked Esperanto (and then altered many of the common phrases Avi used in order to sound more alien) because it is an airy language that doesn't use as many labial sounds (m's, p's, v's, etc) as other languages. This was so that their language sounded more like a bird-song.
. o O (I think I must agree with Sliss. The "Fat Chance" would have been a perfect name for our ship.)

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
Interesting stuff, had no idea about the Esperanto thing even though I know of the concept!

Though I'm a Huge 40K nerd I don't place great importance on sticking to official stuff as the only true way, the game and universe was founded on homebrew and making your army "your guys" after all. Something not fitting with the tone of a game can be more jarring but the the RT campaign was pretty comical on the whole anyway ;D

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
Though I'm a Huge 40K nerd I don't place great importance on sticking to official stuff as the only true way, the game and universe was founded on homebrew and making your army "your guys" after all.

Oh, absolutely. That's one of the reasons I had the most fun playing Chaos Daemons in the wargame. They have the widest range of customization, and when you've drafted up an army, they really feel like your guys. Definitely more interesting (to me, anyhow) than Guardsmen or Space Marines. Unfortunately, Chaos was super gimped by Warp rules and almost unplayable against other armies.

Kevin

• Horse Puncher
  • Kevin has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as the inestimable Manda, but this sort of feedback is very much appreciated.  There are many times I still don't think of myself as "creative" or as a "performer", and it's great to feel appreciated.  There is more Edge of the Empire, though it was on hold for quite a while due to some personal issues on my part.  We're also looking to continue, so there will hopefully be even more to come.  The goal is 60 episodes across 3 acts, and we're approaching the halfway point.

Ninjaguiden

• Horse Puncher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
Interesting to hear some thoughts about this, I often compare listning to audiobooks or radio theatre when I try to explain my RPG podcast habit. In that sense Kevin you and the rest of the crew are definitely creative and entertaining!

On a similar but personal note though I like all of the DnU zaibatsu just as in a tv show you have your personal favourites. Your style of humour and character just fits my own very often. Scire from RT and now Valentine from 7th Sea never fail to make me laugh.

Only halfway through the FA campaign? Multiple acts!? Bring me my fainting couch please!