Author Topic: Science Fantasy Riders game: What system to use?  (Read 2227 times)

crazon

• Sidefaced
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • crazon has no influence.
    • View Profile
    • Al Dente Rigamortis
Science Fantasy Riders game: What system to use?
« on: July 04, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
So I recently have been thinking of running a game of science fantasy with beast rider elements (see "Dragon Riders of Pern" or "Panzer Dragoon" series)

The Premise is characters are adventuring riders or handlers of large bio-engineered "Dragon" creatures of varying abilities. The people and culture is medieval or relatively low tech except for the large flying creatures they ride, which are products of the only surviving super tech from a long lost civilization. The ruins of which dot the land and coastal sea. The main thing the game would touch on is travelling to these ancient places and confronting biological monstrosities that have made them their lair and uncovering forgotten tech and treasures left by the ancestors and recovering information of that bygone era.

I have three systems I've been thinking of so far (Mainly because I have them and wanna try them with something and think they could work for designing the big beasties). Open to hear any other ideas or suggestions for systems or the game itself.

- Monsters and Other Childish Things (Easy to build powerful monster creatures and would match a general feel and scope of the game.)
- Wild Talents (Similar to Monsters& but more complex creature creation.)
- Base Raiders (Creature creation and the game has an in system feel of adventuring into and exploring and relic hunting super tech and knowledge from an ancient civilization.)

Curious to hear what people think.
Player of serious silly games! Also host of "Al Dente Rigamortis" creepypasta podcast.

jfan999

• Horse Puncher
  • jfan999 has no influence.
    • View Profile
Re: Science Fantasy Riders game: What system to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
You might try using Reign, the ORE fantasy system, but also giving the characters MOCT style monsters. Reign characters feel more powerful then MOCT characters but are on a whole still much weaker then Monsters due the the lack of special dice and extras.

Nayt

• Pug Life
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Nayt has no influence.
  • Former Cast Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
You might try using Reign, the ORE fantasy system, but also giving the characters MOCT style monsters. Reign characters feel more powerful then MOCT characters but are on a whole still much weaker then Monsters due the the lack of special dice and extras.

I am gonna echo this statement. Reign would def. fit the idea better than MaOCT, WT, or Base Raiders.
. o O (I think I must agree with Sliss. The "Fat Chance" would have been a perfect name for our ship.)

crazon

• Sidefaced
  • crazon has no influence.
    • View Profile
    • Al Dente Rigamortis
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »
I think I know what to add to my Gencon shopping list. I'll have a deeper look into Reign, thanks!
Player of serious silly games! Also host of "Al Dente Rigamortis" creepypasta podcast.